Activity/Lesson Key Information
It is important for children to distinguish different shapes from an early age. This time, MatataBot is going to collect 4 types of food: square type, triangle type, circle type and rectangle type.
Matatalab tangible coding language, shapes
Learn about shapes and help MatataBot move from the starting point to the target point to collect the 4 types of food according to the shapes.
- recognize basic shapes (triangle, square, circle, rectangle)
- classify foods by shape (triangle, square, circle, rectangle)
- control MatataBot to move to the target point by using motion coding blocks
- MatataBot: One of the important components of Matatalab Coding Set, which is connected to the
- Command Tower via Bluetooth: It receives the Command Tower signals, and displays the results of the program.
- Map: An area with 16 10cm*10cm squares, which MatataBot can move on.
- Command: It is the instruction to direct the work of the MatataBot. A program is a series of commands arranged in a certain order. The process of executing a program is the working process of a computer.
- Move forward: the MatataBot move forward 10cm
- Move backward: the MatataBot move backward 10cm
- Turn right 90º : turn to the robot’s right side
- Turn left 90º: turn to the robot’s left side
Know the shapes of Circle, Rectangle, Triangle, Square, and have basic knowledge of using motion coding blocks to program.
CSTA（K-2）： 1A-AP-08 1A-AP-10
ISTE： 1d, 3d, 5a
Detailed Lesson Plan
Lead in & Guided Activity
Introduce that different types of food in our daily life may have different shapes, and sometimes we can identify a food by its shape.
2. Rules Intro
Introduce the game rules in detail for the students.
3. Guided Activity
Show students how to play this game.
30mins: Students play this game in pairs:
- Children take turns rolling a 6-sided die with 4 different shapes, 1 “stop the round” and 1 “re-roll” on each face;
2. The grid on the map is filled with food cards, and there is a space on the side of the map as the starting point for MatataBot;
3. Randomly place 4 shaped cards on the other side of the map;
2.2 Try to find more stuff in daily life with Circle/ Rectangle/Triangle/Square.
- Do you know other foods of different shapes?
- Can you list square/triangle/circle/rectangle things in life?
- When having the starting point and the target point, do you know how to plan the route?